If operators are complaining that the tape is too wet or too dry, there are several ways to correct this problem.
- Lower water level in tank
- Remove one or more weights from the pressure plate assembly
- Raise water level
- Clean or replace moistening brushes
- Add one or more weights to the pressure plate assembly
A. Lower Water Level in Tank
- There is a water level adjustment screw on the left side of the water tank.
- Loosen the thumb nut and turn the screw down.
- This lowers the water bottle and water level.
B. Remove Weight(s)
- The pressure plate assembly has two cylindrical weights in the front curved piece.
- Remove one or both weights.
- The pressure plate will now put less pressure on the tape as it rides over the moistening brushes, causing the tape to absorb less water.
A. Raise Water Level in Tank
- Raise the water level in the water tank by raising the water level adjustment screw on the right side of the water tank.
- Loosen the thumb nut and turn the screw out.
- This will raise the water bottle and the water level in the tank.
B. Clean / Replace Moistening Brushes
- First, check to make sure that your machine has two moistening brushes.
- If it does not, order a new set – M100MB3X (Ref. PW107AK). This machine will not operate with a single brush.
- Next, if you notice a glue build up on the tips of the brushes, wash them out (along with the tank!) in warm, soapy water.
- To remove the water tank, lift it up to clear the small lip on the lower tank shelf. If you cannot easily lift the tank up, very gently pry it up with a screw driver (or similar flat-edge device).
- If the brushes are so old that you can’t remember when they were replaced, you might want to order a new set. Eventually, they wear down and will not moisten the tape, regardless of how clean they are.
C. Add Weight(s)
- The pressure plate assembly comes with two cylindrical weights in the front curved piece. Check to make sure both weights are present.
- You can order extra weights – 300PLATEW (Ref. FM17).
- Adding an extra weight (maximum 3) causes the pressure plate to drive the tape harder into the moistening brushes, making the tape wetter.
In some areas where the water is hard, you can try adding a wetting agent, such as Penetron. It is an inexpensive wetting agent that you can add directly to your water bottle. It comes in powder or liquid. Call for pricing.
This machine can also be equipped with an Adjustable Weighted Top Heater. The Top Heater, standard on electric models, creates a “high zone” of heat that liquifies the glue on tape better than just water. M300SHWPXXK (Ref. FM55XXXK).
If you can’t find the answers here, then please feel free to call us at
Email for assistance.