Before Any Maintenance Procedure – UNPLUG THE MACHINE
How To Replace The Upper Feed Wheel
First, check to see what type of Upper Feed Wheel is on your machine – nylon (neoprene) or metal
- Remove the Motor Cover (3 screws) on right side of machine
- Remove the Key drum side cover (5 screws).
- Remove the key drum (4 screws) and gently move the key drum back and out of the way. There is no need to disconnect any cables.
- Inside the key drum area is the Tape Length sensor. It is held into the machine by a small chrome bracket that has 2 screws. Loosen these 2 screws and push the bracket down and away. The small metal Measuring Wheel on the left side of the Upper Feed Wheel Shaft will be blocked if you don’t lower the Tape Length Sensor.
- 5. All of the set screws are 3/32 set screws. you will need a 3/32 Allen Wrench.
- Loosen the set screw on the upper Chain Sprocket that is attached to the Upper Feed Wheel Shaft (UFWS). This will allow you to turn the UFWS by hand.
Nylon Upper Feed Wheel – Loosen the set screw on the collar just to the right of the Upper Feed Wheel and push the Upper Feed Wheel to the right. Remove the groove pin that holds the Upper Feed Wheel to the Shaft. Loosen the set screws on both of the other collars.
Metal Upper Feed Wheel – Loosen both set screws on the collar of the metal Upper Feed Wheel. Loosen the set screws on both the left and right collars
- If the tape Length Sensor is down and out of the way, slide the UFWS through the left frame. until you can remove all 3 collars and the old Upper Feed Wheel.
- With the new Upper Feed Wheel in hand, slide the first collar onto the UFWS, then the new Upper Feed Wheel, the the second and third collars. Slide the UFWS through the right side frame and slide the Upper Chain Sprocket onto the UFWS.
- IMPORTANT: Move the Tape length Sensor Bracket back up and look closely and the 2 posts coming up from the Tape Length Sensor. Make sure the metal Measuring Wheel is center between these 2 posts and not rubbing either post. Once the Measuring Wheel is centered. tighten the set screws on the collars against the left and right inside frames.
Nylon Upper Feed Wheel – Then slide the groove pin into the Upper feed Wheel Shaft, slide the new Upper Feed Wheel over the pin and tighten the collar next to the new Upper Feed Wheel. Finally, tighten the set screw on the Upper Chain Sprocket.
Metal Upper Feed Wheel: – Then position the new metal Upper Feed Wheel over the Lower Feed Wheel and tighten both set screws on the Upper Feed Wheel Collar. Finally, tighten the set screw on the Upper Chain Sprocket.
- Re-install the key drum. HINT: It may be easier to start by replacing the screw in the upper right corner first. you can hold the key drum at a slight angle and start that screw in first. Leave all screws loose until all 4 are started.
- Test several tape lengths to see if they are correct. If 3 tape lengths are correct, they will all be correct. test 6″, 12″ and 24″. for example.
- If the tape lengths are NOT correct:
If the tape lengths are all the same (for example) you will need to adjust the tape Length Sensor. Loosen the 2 screws on the Tape length Sensor Bracket. Move the tape length sensor up or down slightly until you get an accurate tape length on 2 tape lengths. Then firmly tighten the screws on the tape length sensor bracket.
- Finally, replace the key drum side cover and motor cover.
IMPORTANT CAUTION: Make absolutely certain that when re-installing the Upper Feed Wheel Shaft the metal Measuring Wheel on the left side of the Shaft does not rub either post of the Tape Length Sensor. The small metal Measuring Wheel must be centered between the 2 posts on the Tape Length Sensor
Remove Motor Cover. Loosen the 3/32" set screw that holds the Upper Chain Sproicket to the Upper Feed Wheel Shaft.
Remove the Sprocket
You can then slide the Upper Feed Wheel Shaft from left to right. Slide off the right side Collar and old Feed Wheel. Slide on the new Feed Wheel, replace Collar then slide the Upper Feed Wheel Shaft back through the right side frame
If you have any questions regarding these – or any other – maintenance procedures, please call us at 1 (800) 899-9389.
One Source – Sales, Service, Parts, and Experience.
Sales & Service
13093 Old Ridge Road
Beaverdam, VA 23015